View Single Post
Old 21st September 2006, 10:01 PM   #12
jtw

Default RE: Formula Windsurfing Worlds, Arnon and Gonzalo

Well, Dave, with me being a moron and all, this may be difficult for me to explain. But I'll try my best....

You see, in formula racing, you're allowed to have different sized sails, and sails made by different manufacturers. Some of these sails work better than others in very light wind. I don't know why this is, and iffn' sombody tried to 'splain it to me, I probably wouldn't understand. Folks are also allowed to use different styles and sizes of boards from different manufacturers, too. Again, I don't know why, but some boards are faster than others in real light wind. So, it seems to reason that, if two guys had the same ability and were the same size, the one with the gear that worked better in real light wind would win in real light wind.

Now let me try to tackle the other one....preparation. If two fellas had the exact same sail and board, and if one of 'm practiced all the while in very light wind while the other just complained when the wind was such, and sat on the beach, this would constitute a difference in very light wind preparation. The one that practiced all the time in these conditions would probably win, even if he weighed more.

So, with my limited brain capacity, it looks like the people who beat them were either better prepared or had better gear for the conditions.
jtw is offline   Reply With Quote