View Single Post
Old 15th March 2008, 08:59 AM   #34
Da Kine Braddah

You guys have to understand, not all locals are against the TVR. You happen to have one guy here in this forum. I would be willing to bet he isnt even born and raised on Maui. Anyways, doesnt matter. The fact is many of us support the existance of TVrs. I am in no way involved in the business but when family come to Maui, they need cheap place to stay and I cant put everyone in my place, so, the TVRs are convenient.

Many of who voted for Charmain are sorry we did so. She is not really acting with Aloha but with heavy hand. The TVR industry is an important part of the economy and with properly regulation will continue to be so. Most of us agree that instead of the heavy handed approach the mayor is taking she should have gone the route of going after the problem business that had complaints, and actively going after them. Some neighborhoods actually like have the TVRs. I know my street in Haiku used to have this place down the way that was boarded up and attracted the kids and druggies. Someone bought the place, cleaned it up nice and we never have trouble ever again. No more break ins. Good for everyone on our street.

As much as "unregistered" has an ax to grind, luckily he is in the minority. Recently the county council has gotten to the table with real solutions to the mess and are proposing changes that would allow for most of these business to open up again. There are goign to be some changes, but for the most part, all will be good to go. The changes they are proposing make sense for the long term. Going forward only the problem TVRs are going to be shutdown.

Also, 'unregistered' may not know it or not, but most of the TVRs were compliant with the state tax law and were already paying the hotel rate. Thats why you havent heard about any massive tax crack down in the mix with the county actions. The 'illegal' TVRs have been looking for regular and steamlined process for many many years. Its finally coming. Unfortunately, it may be too little too late for many families here who lived on Maui for generations if not foreva, and used TVR to keep affording to live in da place of their birth, but now are in foreclosure. Very sad day for many families here. Many people think this is all about the rich haloe coming to Maui. The majority of these places are home grown local style. Anyways. Resolution coming soon.

Peace and aloha....

Kaleo