View Single Post
Old 9th April 2008, 09:38 PM   #3
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klint View Post
Hi,

I'm going to build up the tube of a carbon boom front a tad to get a snug fit with the renowned MauiSails boom front end which I intend to retrofit. I will not need much cloth, just a couple of wraps. Will there be a motivated advantage to go with the significantly more expensive (10x more expensive per sqm, 1 sqm carbonfibre about $100...) carbon cloth or will this kind of reinforcement / build up be fine with glass fiber?

thanks,

/ Andy
If I understand correctly you are trying to increase the diameter of your current boom so that it fits the maui-sails boom frontend? If so that seems very hard to do. You need to be able to produce a perfect cylinder + there might be extrusions on the maui tube that "lock in" the front end. In addition especially, for a tube, you need to vacuum bag or at least use a tape trick (where you wrap thinly perforated tape over the fiber) for lamination. If I were you I would just keep my current frontend ... if you want to do it, do it with S-glass or S2-glass tape that is cheap, easier to work with and makes no difference in weight for such a small job.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote