View Single Post
Old 26th September 2006, 10:54 PM   #10
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: That pesky rear footstrap

Hi again Lindbergh,
Sounds like you are "dialing in" your rig balance and stance fairly quickly here.
When setting your harness lines, it's always a matter of "personal preference".
Some sailors like the rig to be "front handed"; while others like it more back handed.
My persona preference is for the rig to be as perfectly balanced as possible.
I was sailing a brand new NP RS 6 9.0 m2 Formula sail over the weekend and I had to do quite a bit of moving the lines forward to get it where I could even sail it.
The boom was much higher (up in the forehead to top of my head range, but as low as it would go the way the sail was rigged) than I would normally like it, but when one uses borrowed gear, you have to make the best of what's offered.
So, I sailed the Exocet Kona and a new MIke's Lab Formula board with the boom a lot higher than I like it (normally for me just high enough to get my chin over the boom) with significantly longer harness lines.
This made my "transitions" a bit more tricky, but I quickly got accustomed to the setup and had a great time checking out the new RS-6 and these boards. (Thanks to George Isreal!)
As far as where to set your harness lines, that's (as I suggest above) going to be something you have to work out. It's different for different width boards, taller or less tall sailors, and may be sailor weight and strength dependent as well. Whatever you come up with that's most comfortable for you, and allows you to be confident that you can use your upper body weight (and easing your sheeting angle a bit) to control impending catapaults is going to work the best.
Again, TOW is the key to getting into a "comfort zone" where everything balances, and your sailing becomes pretty much "effortless".
But, as you feel the "need for speed", and conditions, boards, and rig sizes change, you also need to experiment with harness line length, harness line balance, and boom height to find the "geometry" that makes your sailing comfortable and effortless in different conditions on different gear.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote