View Single Post
Old 23rd April 2008, 06:27 AM   #9
Del Carpenter

I’m mentioning the following resources in case you are missing one of them:
There are plans for cheap but very useable simulator on Starboard’s Windsurfing Academy. That might help you quite a bit while your are waiting for warmer water.
http://www.windsurfing-academy.com/i...g%5Fsimulator/

The “Ten Step Guide to Windsurfing” for older longboards like yours is found at: http://ist-socrates.berkeley.edu/~wp...windindex.html

Often on e-Bay you can buy the book, “A Beginner’s Guide to Zen and the Art of Windsurfing” by Frank Fox. It helped me when I was learning more than 20 years ago.

There are at least four ways to steer a windsurfer. all steering is done with a combination of all four. Each way creates a force which acts toward turning the board. Which way the board actually turns depends on the relative strength of each force. Each of the methods is always “on”. Two of them move the board’s nose toward upwind or downwind. Two of them move the board’s nose toward port or starboard. Two of them are acheived by moving the mast. Two of them are achieved by placing your weight. 1. Lean mast toward bow (nose) the bow turns downwind. Or lean the mast toward the stern, the bow turns upwind. 2. Use your body to weight the bow, the bow goes downwind. Use your body to weight the stern, the bow goes upwind. 3. Lean the mast torward the port side, the bow goes starboard, lean the mast toward the starboard side, the bow goes port. 4.Tilt the board to port with the daggerboard down, the board pivots on the daggerboard and the bow goes starboard. Tilt the board to starboard with the daggerboard down and the board pivorts on the daggerboard and the bow goes to port. (#4 is tricky because the results are different with the daggerboard up or on a shortboard with no daggerboard.)

One example using all four: When the wind is coming from the starboard (right) side of the board and you want to turn downwind (toward port or left), to make all four steering methods help you turn downwind you can (1) lean the mast forward, (2) weight your frong foot, (3) lean the mast toward starboard, and (4) tilt the board toward port (if the daggerboard is down), all at the same time. It is very easy for a beginner to concentrate attention on using one method to turn but, unintentionally turn in another direction because another method has more force, and the beginner forgot about what was going on with the other three steering methods. How you move your feet, where you put your weight can make as much different as how you move the mast.

You can feel smqll changes in the wind, but you can’t feel subtle changes in direction. The only way to know how much the board is turning is to look foward over the bow. If you spend much time looking at the sail you’ll be surprised by a change in direction you didn’t know was happening.

You can learn to windsurf.
Del Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote