View Single Post
Old 25th April 2008, 03:08 AM   #3

Well carbon or not isn't really interesting. To make a stiff, light and strong construction in any composite material it's a matter of the whole construction and the mix of the different lay ups (and the professionality of the guy who does the job). A 100% carbon board would be very stiff, quite strong and VERY fragile (and $$$$$). The mixture of different fibres (and there are lots of other good ones than carbon) will always be a compromise and no single construction is the best on all points.
"Carbon" is also a way of branding some boards. Do you actually know if they use 50% or 5% carbon when they call it "carbon construction"? Do you know where and how they made the lay up?
The most weird way of making a board (looking) light is the way t.ex. Fanatic and F2 do where they kind of sand the paint off the board leaving it with black patches to give it a light weight look.
It's pure branding. Anybody can make a very thin paint covering the whole board and still weighing nothing.
I've had lots of wood boards. The only ones that suffered a little were the formulas. They are very light in the lay up and quite fragile. My carves and S-type were all nice and strong after several seasons of hard work. I agree though that repairing a wood board is a shitty job. Starboard should leave the nose of their boards coloured as it's always here the worst damages happen.
But yes, wood looks good too, and it matters.

Last edited by Per; 25th April 2008 at 03:12 AM.
Per is offline   Reply With Quote