Thread: New Board
View Single Post
Old 26th April 2008, 09:31 AM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Shane,
I'll paste in your reply here and then answer each section seperately:

"The local Starboard shop encouraged me more towards the Futura 144 because "it was simply a better board and I would go alot further on it". I feel that may have been because he had one in stock to sell me. This is one of the reasons for this query. I believe the Go may have footstrap positions that would be easier to get into."

Two things jump out at us here!
If the GO 144 and the Futura 144 are exactly the same shape, only the weight being different (the GO TufSkin being heavier due to the more ding resistant and heavy duty
construction) I'm not quite sure how the Futura will "take you further".
Yes, eventually you will want a smaller board for higher winds and smaller rigs, but
the GO Tufskin (144= 11 Kg. 155= 11.75 Kg.) and Futura 144 (WOOD= 8.3 Kg. /Technora= 8.9 Kg.) or Futura 155 (WOOD= 8.75 Kg./Technora= 9.3 Kg)
should take you equally as far until you are ready for that smaller board.
AS far as the footstrap inserts, yes, the GO 144 and 155 do have a set or 2 of very far forward footstrap positions, but they are for absolute beginners, and are somewhat dangerous in my opinion (too close to the impact radius of the mast around the mast foot).
The board really won't plane mch at all if you are that far forward on the board, so I find them to be a "nice feature", but otherwise pretty useless.

"I am currently experiencing a few catapults on the long board as I am not in the footstraps and this is usually how it finishes once I get planing. It was fun at first but now is getting tiresome having to get back on and uphaul. I have already had to repair the nose of the board after a big catapult in 20knts. I have now developed a technique were I hang on mid catapult and end up right around the front of the board in the water rather than hitting the gear. Some advice from another sailor has helped. He advised to put the boom a bit higher, bend my knees more getting more downward pressure through the harness. This has helped, particularly when bearing off the wind a bit which was when cataplts were happening.
I may have a better solution to the catapaults.
Get some adjustable harness lines. Then you can adjust the length of your lines out on the water while underway so you don't have to move the boom to compensate for lines that are too short/long.
What size sails are you using now? What type sail (brand/model)?
If you decide to bear off, you need to sheet out as you change the rigs angle to the wind, or you will always get tossed. The rig just loads up further and further back until you can't hold it anymore.
Also, you seem to feel that getting your feet in the footstraps is going to prevent you from catapaulting.
In my experience, this is not the case. They help in this respect, but you really need to learn to keep the pressure/loading in your rig at a level you
can handle. This is done by trimming the sail (sheeting in or out to maintain good pressure, but bleeding off "too much" pressure.
The footstraps allow you to control the board and prevent your feet from
bouncing off the board when it bounds over chop.

"If you feel the larger volume will help or be easier to achieve my goals, I am more inclined to go that way as the resale market where I am is very good and it won't cost me much to change later if I advance that far. However, will the larger volume board be more difficult to sail in 20-25 knts"
Yes, it's true that you will need a smaller board for 20-25 knots. You'll need a smaller rig as well.
How much of your sailing is in 20-25 knots and how much of it is in windspeeds < 18 knots?................< 15 knots..........< 12 knots?
Your older longboard is OK, but modern wide early planing shortboards, with larger (8.5 m2 and larger) rigs will have you planing in 10-12 knots.
This is fully planing, not what you are experiencing on your longboard (which longboard do you have?).
At your weight, the slightly larger 155 will get you planing earlier.
You can easily handle the Futura or GO 155 up to 20 knots.
Beyond 18-20 knots, both the 144 and 155 versions are going to be a bit
too big.
For 20 knots and up you need a 100-120 liter board.

"When comparing with other boards I believe that the wider starboard board tail should offer more stability when planing which I would interpret as easier. I don't know if it would make it quicker to get on the plane."
Stability when planing is not the issue.
Wider tail widths allow you to control longer fins and longer fins allow you to plane earlier.
Once on plane, and within the range of the fin, wide tail shortboards are faster, sail upwind higher, and plane much earlier.
Hope this helps,

Last edited by Roger; 26th April 2008 at 10:07 AM.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote