View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2008, 05:24 AM   #6
mark h

Thanks for all the comments. Think I agree with Duracell. My take on it is that once you reach a certain max width, tail width, fin & sail size etc, theres little in terms of early planing. To a certain point, extra width, fin & sail will cause unnecassary drag.

For the masses, a formula might be easier to get going in super light winds CW light wind slalom, in reality you only loose 1 or 2 knots of required wind to get going. Technic, ridder imput and energy are king in the super early planing displayed by top PWA competitors.

Its easy to misunderstand formula's super wide tails, grunty fins & 12m sails as early planing aids, but those things are about up/down wind angles required for course racing and not necasseraly for early planing.

Any way with the crap winds that where getting in the UK, I expect to get a couple of thousand miles done on my iS144 pretty soon so we shall see. My thoughts might wrong & I could change my tune, then I'll have go running back to formula.

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mark h is offline   Reply With Quote