Thread: Hucker and mast
View Single Post
Old 2nd October 2006, 12:05 AM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Hucker and mast

Hi Paul C,
No, I don't think the Huckers "super power" extends quite this far.
The 6.6 m2 Hucker easily replaces a 7.0 m2 Retro, and probably gets close to a 7.5 m2 Retro, but you won't get the low end and early planing power of an 8.0 m2 Retro with the 6.6 m2 Hucker.
The loft is working on some more powerful 6.6 m2 Hucker designs, but the prototype sail I have is a little less powerful.
I'll let you know when I get one of the next evolution 6.6 m2 Huckers as to what the low end power is going to be.
However, I cannot stress enough how much you can "tune" the characteristics of all the Huckers with different masts.
If you want lot's of power and a really tight upper leech, use a Backbone.
If you want a looser leech, and a little less low end, use a std. dia. mast. And, if you have other masts with slightly different bend characteristics, tyr them.
The Hucker 5.6 has in incredible range with the following 5 masts I've tried.
Powerex 430 cm Z-Speed 100% Carbon
Sailworks 430 cm Joystick 75% Carbon
Sailworks 430 cm Backbone RDM 90% Carbon
Powerex 430 cm Wave Prepreg RDM 90% Carbon
Sailworks Backbone 460 cm Backbone 90% carbon
Each mast is slightly different in bend characteristics, and you can use this small difference to "tune" the Hucker toward the type of sailing you want to do an any given day.
Want "speed", use the 460 cm Backbone.
Want lots of "air time" use the 430 Joystick
Want lots of "low end" with a tight leech, use the 430
Backbone.
Getting a little over powered and want more top twist, use the
Powerex Wave Prepreg 430.
Each mast gives the 5.6 m2 Hucker a little different shape and
feel.
If I ever get back on the water (been working on aircraft carriers for the last week and a half) I'll try to focus on the 6.6 Hucker and pass along anything new I discover about this particular sail.
I'm looking at the new "more powerful" Hucker 6.6 m2 as the "best" sail for the new Starboard Serenity. Sailed it last week in very light winds with a 7.5 m2 Retro and it was awesome.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote