View Single Post
Old 31st May 2008, 01:37 AM   #7
Unregistered

Interesting thread. I do not have the KA117, but here are comments on my recently purchased KA127 (2007 Wood). I weigh 165-170 lbs, been sailing for many years and currently own Carve 101 FreeFormula 157 among other boards.

I bought the KA127 to replace my AHD FreeDiamond 70 which was an early planner and more salmon oriented since I wanted to cross over into ocean and waves but still use in bays. For my weight, I would have gotten the KA117 but the price was too good to pass up. So far it has been great in the bay in light winds (15 mph) on 7.5 Severne Gator and even more fun when wind picks up on 6.2 Aerotech Phantom Wave (20-25 mph). It not an early planner like the AHD but I can still pump onto plane with good technique and bearing off with swell. Mast track is one-third to half way from back depending on sail size. The commentor above is correct regarding finding the sweet spot on rocker line. Too far forward and the board get more sticky. Also, found straps in wave set up works best since an upright position seems to apply more downward mast and fin pressure resulting in more speed. If necessary, once under way you can still wiggle feet out of straps to hike more for more salmom like ride. So far the stock fin works (I believe 38) with both fins and have not even bothered with wave fin yet. I like the forgiving volume in the lulls and I can always slog back if wind dies. I also like the short length for a smooth ride through the small waves and chop. The light weight should work well for jumps. I can feel it want to lift I can't wait to get into waves and ocean.
I agree the board is a freak design but it sure fills a niche for the sailing I am seeking. I will give up some early planning for the versatility it offers.

Sorry for the long post. Hopefully, some can benefit from these comments.

Andrew Pierce