View Single Post
Old 20th June 2008, 05:42 AM   #8
steveC

Although it was my intent not to respond on this thread, but I thought it was important to offer some needed clarifications and distinctions here. First off, I commend both Ken and Screamer for their important contributions, and I agree wholeheartedly with Screamer and pierre45 on one of their root issues concerning troublemakers.

Nevertheless, for at least those newer to the more revised Starboard website, it's important to comment, and hopefully to clarify things a bit. Although Starboard originally required registeration in the immediate changeover to the new system, they ultimately allowed unregistered comments on the Starboard Free Forum side of things. Needless to say, they sensibly restricted unstructured comment on other, more specific aspects of their website. In my mind, this makes perfect sense from a company perspective, as one would want to channel the river, so to speak.

Now, looking at the original poster's issues, that it's no longer as fun anymore. But, why? Simply, because mischief makers can no longer pretend that they're somebody else. Really, an important distinction. Would any of you want to permit rogue characters the open opportunity to affect your bank or credit accounts, or maybe even your investment accounts. Of course not, that would be totally foolish.

Overall, if you have something edgy to say regarding windsurfing, or Starboard's role in the business, I don't think that you will be shut off here. I think most reasonable folks understand that. I'm impressed with the candor that Svein and Starboard permits, and it says much about the character of the company.

Sadly, I can't say the same about a US company, Hot Sails Maui, but that's a different matter. I've been saving this for some time now, but I think the comment is warranted, simply because of the difference in freedom of expression offered overall is unquestionably night and day.

Last edited by steveC; 20th June 2008 at 05:47 AM.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote