View Single Post
Old 16th July 2008, 07:15 PM   #1
dominic72

Lightbulb early planing on 2008 kombat

Hi guys

I bought a 2008 Kombat 105 last month and sailed it in Porto Pollo, Sardinia, in the past week. Found the board amazing, as if I had always sailed it. She gets onto the plane early and yet is nexceptionally manouevrable and easy in handling big chop and swell. It's what I looked for.

I'm stepping down from a 135L, though, and I still need to work it out a bit to get the most out of my Kombat. I keep reading in previous postings that, to extract the Kombat's early planing capabilities, you need to have an 'ACTIVE' riding style, as opposed to easy riding (with longer rocker I guess) boards.

Now, excuse my ignorance (I've only 2 years of windsurfing experience after all :-) but what does this exactly mean? I thought I had to increase mast foot pressure and pump the sail, especially when caught in a lull or when the wind is too light and I still want the board to get rising onto the plane. Pumping actually does work. But in a posting from OlaH I read I have to 'get back' and use some technique. Is there something I'm missing here, not being an expert wave sailor?

Can anyone explain any further? I'd really appreciate, cheers guys

Domenico from Tuscany, Italy
85 kg
use a 5,4 NP Combat and a North Sails Duke 6,4 which works great on it
dominic72 is offline   Reply With Quote