Thread: 2008 Retros?
View Single Post
Old 28th July 2008, 02:53 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Filip,
I have 5.5/6.5/7.5/ and 8.5 m2 2008 Retros.
I also have 4.8/5.6/6.6 m2 Huckers.
I like the new Retros alot, but they don't have the same
super powerful feel that I get with the Huckers.
I too would like to see Bruce Peterson at Sailworks design a couple of larger Huckers, but I don't think he sees the need for that as this would overlap with the large Retros.
I didn't like the reduced boom length at first, because I've never liked battens that cross through the boom, but once I got used to the shorter boom and started to use the lower grommet only I have changed my opinion on this.
The new Retro's have all the power of their predecessors in the last few years, but the shorter boom has made them easier to handle.
I do not have the 8.0 m2 2008 Retro (so I cannot give you a direct experience analysis on that specific size), but I have an early proof sail 7.5 m2 and a later production 8.5 m2. They are just as good as previous Retros, but the shorter boom just seems to enhance the overall feel of these sails.
The new Retros don't feel quite the same as the Huckers, and I haven't been able to get the huge tuning range I get with Huckers using different masts, but the Retro range of windspeed and tuning is as good as it's always been.
Hope this helps,

Last edited by Roger; 29th July 2008 at 02:48 AM.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote