View Single Post
Old 31st July 2008, 08:28 AM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi again Ulf,
OK, I had never noticed the "toed out" footstrap arrangement on the Futura 133 before.
So, I learned something new.
I took the Futura 133 out this afternoon with the footstraps where I normally sail them
(all the way back and outboard, with the rear screw in the rear most back hole and the front screw in the front screw position so the footstrap is as wide as it will go.
But, just as a test, to see what the effect of the "toed out" (not parallel with the center line of the board, wider at the front) footstraps might be.
I was well powered up on a 2008 6.5 m2 Sailworks Retro no can free race sail in salt water in the Sound sailing from the Canadian Hole.
I used a 32 cm Lessacher Design Duo (asymetrical) weed fin.
I sailed a few runs with the footstraps were I normally have them, then came in and moved the back footstraps inboard to the next set of holes which are more "toed out"
than the outboard set of holes and slightly more forward.
The surface conditions were a little rougher than I would normally sail the Futura 133 in
but I wanted to test out the board to get a better idea on this footstrap issue.
I set the footstraps so the K9 lock "tangs" were in the middle with the K9 lock on the back hole at the rear of the board and in the front hole in the front of the back footstrap.
There was a definite difference in the overall feel of the board, but it wasn't bad, just different than with the rear straps all the way outboard.
I really had no trouble with the slightlly "splayed out/toed out footstraps and I looked at both my feet on the outbound (port tack in the SW winds) and the inbound (starboard)
tack and my feet were pretty much directly across the board.
I could move my heels so my foot was pointing a little forward, or a little back of perpendicular to the board's centerline.
Basically I did not find the slight "toe out" of the footstraps to present any problems/issues for me.
So, I would suggest using the back hole at the back attachment point, and the front hole at the front attachment point.
Then you can put your foot straight in with no issues.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote