View Single Post
Old 10th August 2008, 11:25 PM   #10
Unregistered

Default Longboard vs shortboard

Thank you Roger for your hints.

Could you or somebody else also comment on the recommended mast position on the slot?

If I understand correctly ( but I might be wrong!) the more backward it is, ( compatibly with the size of the sail, of course, because larger sails would require a forward compensation, from what I understand) the easier will be the glide forward: the weight being more towards the rear, the front part will raise and reduce the contact of the widest part of the board with the water, thus decreasing the drag ... What are your suggestions on this?

Your PLYWOOD metaphor makes your point very well and this is where I did go wrong, as I was outhauling the sail real tight, but sure there be must lots of windsurfers in the lumber trade, because when I look around I see a lot of those superflat sails, as taut as a violin string ! Some people must do windsurfing with the overwhelming consideration that the flatter the sail is , the easier it is to uphaul it from the water, because if they were to tune the sail with more draft , they fear they would have to break their back uphauling a 5 ft diam ,water filled and water-tight ...container each time ! Of course I am exaggerating, but I am curious to know how it feels to uphaul a 10.5 with a sizeable draft in it ! There must be enough water inside to trap a dolphin !

As usual, your comments will be appreciated

Franco

Montreal, Canada