View Single Post
Old 12th August 2008, 05:20 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

There's a fair bit of rocker in the EVOs and they require a slightly different technique to get going early. Get in the straps very early and then almost lift with your back foot (you are actually not really lifting the tail, but acting on this advice will do a few other things to the technique, as fx keep the board flat and not load up the tail and fin too much).

When it comes to fins, I would look for a 08 or 09 original EVO fin, the Drake Natural in size 25 or 26. These are still rather soft wave fins, but the shear size will make em work. Some prefer stiffer and less swept back, crossover like fins. Ten there is a plethora of options. The Drake Crossover is one. For 6.0 at your weight I would say 26-28 could be worth trying if you want some extra fin power feel.

The board should work with a 6.0 for you, at least if your a bit light footed. But actually, one of the reasons the EVO 100 was developed was to give a more effective platform for 100kg+ guys with bigger sails. Apart from just being thicker, the kind of flat part of the rocker under the mast foot extends a bit more forwards which makes it handle the "lifting phase" when transitioning onto a plane easier when bogged down by big sail+big rider.

So, with that in mind it becomes apparent that the 92 will require some feel to work efficiently. Not to far back, not to far forwards. But practice makes perfect, so just get on it again. And the more powered up you get, the less of an issue this is. Actually, light wind early planing is where the EVOs require the most technique, I would say.

I hope this helps a bit. Good luck.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote