Thread: Carbon Isonics
View Single Post
Old 19th August 2008, 10:38 PM   #28
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_H View Post
Davide:

When I say carbon (or woodcarbon) in this case, I'm talking of the construction as a whole relative to the wood or technora construction. I agree the fiber per se is not interesting. But there is a difference in both feel and weight in between the respective constructions. Throw in the proto hollow boards that were experimented with a few years ago you have something different again (and here the you can really start to talk about flex characteristics). Interestingly, when you look at the pros that use custom wave boards, they might even have their personal favourite construction. Some (most) like a bit of give but some (like Polakow) like a stiff double vacuumed all carbon construction.
Exactly my point: weight and fiber have little to do with the ride characteristics one likes. You can be pretty sure that to be stiffer Polakow's boards are at least as heavy as the competition, they probably add extra (partial) layers and use carbon to keep weight down. (PS Hollow boards were built throughout the late 80s early 90s and you could actually buy them, still can: http://www.airinside.ch/)

Quote:
As for the physics: 20% is maybe an overestimation, but if you look at the EVOs wood is somewhere around 12-15% heavier than woodcarbon. And if we're talking percentages and assume the weigh difference is evenly distributed, the increase in inertia will in fact be by the same percentage. And in real life more of the weight loss is in the (more important) front part of the board so you will get a bigger effect than this.
Nice to play with % but you are talking about grams and frankly other things being equal I do not believe that you can achieve a 10% weight reduction just by going from glass to carbon on a wood-sandwich board (just do the math, I should dig out the weights from long gone times of building boards, but roughly the fiber is no more than 1/3 to 1/4 of the weight of the board, and fiber cloth weight is typically 5-9oz/sq yrd for BOTH S-glass and carbon and aramid). But forget % and do us a favour: tie 1/2 pound to the tip of your board (which is optimistic), and report back if you can tell any difference (again find a way to do it blind!).

Quote:
And the whole point (which I tried to make with bikes earlier) is that you cant add all weights together and expect that to be the end of the story. Again, in a cutback, the board is doing a super quick rotation while the rider moves only very little and much slower. When doing such a move, you will notice more (15%) weight. But is it important in the big picture? Is it worth the extra money?
No, it is not (but it still nice to have for chi chi). The 15% is at most 7% at the periphery of the board, and the rest of the weight (under your feet) has no influence at all in chop or turns or cutbacks. There is way more change in weight under your feet when you switch from a 2mm shorty to a 4mm full wetsuit, and frankly I cannot tell any difference in performance!!!! (hei if there was the pros would go naked!)

Last edited by davide; 19th August 2008 at 10:58 PM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote