View Single Post
Old 28th August 2008, 12:19 AM   #14
steveC

C249, you have to admit that the majority of your posts pertaining to the longboard theme almost always include a degree of finger pointing at the industry, media and shortboarders for the overall decline of windsurfing. It's been a very consistent theme over time.

Now you're right that I have in the past highlighted the fact many folks lack the dedication over time to stick with windsurfing. There are a myriad of reasons for that, but I must emphasize that I'm not blaming those that fade from or abandon the sport. Admittedly, it's a bit disheartening to see folks leave the sport, but it does take quite an investment in time and energy to maintain over the long haul. Also, nature doesn't always cooperate with our schedules, so windsurfing requires a significant degree of patience on one hand, and conversely, strong persistence on the other hand. As you know from your past surfing background, there's not always a swell to rely on, so one has to be able to float it through the flat times when you want to surf but it's just not there. Perhaps being seasoned by this type environment gives us the strength of purpose to participate over time. Not everybody can do this, and those that can't find other activities that better suit their personality and disposition.

Getting back to the FOD idea, I think it would be great to have an Olympic event that's focused on the planing side of things. I know your disappointed with this kind of direction, because you would prefer that the Olympics reverted back to classic longboard choice. So now, Starboard is being targeted for blame because they elected to pursue a campaign without holding an election amoungst the racers of the world. While Starboard does manufacture a number of longboards, and they could have promoted them for the next Olympic cycle, they didn't. It seems quite clear that the direction chosen coincides with the thoughts of folks like myself. It will be interesting to see how things play out.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote