View Single Post
Old 31st August 2008, 05:19 PM   #33
Unregistered

kona numbers my source is the factory that makes them, but they would not be able to give much information other than the question whether in fact it is the biggest selling board as of now. The Futura or Go would probably have that title - multiple models of course.

Biggest selling model perhaps, still think that is possible. And let's not sell the board short, it is frigging awesome no matter what the sales.

Chris - there are a lot of rules in play now in windsurfing where you can plow into marks, pumping ok etc that make it decidely less tactical than boat rules coming into marks and fewer kinetics would be (which windsurfing used to have); it is the hardest event, IMHO to win at the olympics, but right now, I agree with your assessment that the boat speeds aren't equal; that stems from the massive importance of pumping strength and atheleticism. That may explain why the Chinese (with relatively less sailing/tactical knowledge) have jumped into this class so successfully, yet been relatively a lot less successful in the other classes.

I am not saying there is more tactics in a downwind planer, perhaps I was a bit too knee jerk. But to think they have no tactics (the usual DDW line which I hear every single time I go out sailing, and which I am sure almost every high performance sailing sailor has heard if they front up with a skiff, planing board, or otherwise) is not disimilar to the lines levelled at windsurfing by non windsurfers - 'it is just air rowing, there aren't much tactics are there?' and so on. If that is why people choose or don't choose a class......at least the facts should be right.

My crew is 9th at the Hobie worlds, SEA champion, Asian games champion in Hobie 16s, 420s, 470s, tactician on a farr 40 and also has won the Platus here and more recently with me, sportboats in some of our regattas.

He doesn't think the slower boats are less tactical. He also doesnt' think they are more tactical. He certainly does point out specific angles though; especially downwind split gybes where a planer/cat or similar can make or break; upwind where the cost of each tack is so much more in the Hobie than the 420. he also doesn't think that dinghies are less tactical than keelers for the most part, despite the massive information advantage they have on a keeler.

All this of course, you well know, and I think we can put to rest that a board should be selected or not selected on the basis of 'that one is tactical, this one is not' unless we start to bring in significant kinetics, at which point tactics will start to come second to kinetics generating ability, which I think is a problem (note many others do not, and love the pump fest).