Thread: Rig Economy
View Single Post
Old 16th September 2008, 08:54 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Rob,
Nice plan, but you may be overlooking something that could diminish the performance of
the sails you purchase.
Make sure that the masts you purchase have the correct MCS/IMCS bend characteristics for the sails you purchase.
I look at this a little differently.
Since masts now cost more than sails, and the weight difference between a low carbon mast (< 75% I consider low carbon) and a 75%-100% high carbon mast is quite significant, I'd look to get a really high carbon mast, as if you take care of it, it will last for many new sails (provided you buy sails that are compatible (IMCS bend characteristics) with your masts.
I don't think you will like the damage done to your Tush T'bird T-3 if you take it into the surf.
Wave sails have vinyl ester and fiberglass battens that are soft and flexy so they can withstand a pounding in the shorebreak.
Your T-Bird T-3 will have carbon rod and tube battens, which are easily broken even in small shorebreak.
So your plan to use a wave mast (so the mast won't break) when you go to the sea (with shorebreak) is OK, but if you wait to sail through the shorebreak until you have the skills to read the waves, make quick chicken jibes and get out through the breaking waves quickly and on the first try, your higher carbon mast and your Tush T-Bird T-3 will have a far better survival rate.
Small sails (wave or bump and jump oriented) and smaller 430/400/370 masts are often rated for use in the waves and they are built with materials and reinforceents to handle getting rolled in the surf.
But even small RDM wave rated masts do break frequently in larger surf.
So, wait until you have the skills to get out through the breaking waves on the first try, and know about chicken jibes in case you don't make it the first run, before taking even your smaller wave rated masts and sails into the surf.
Oh, and your Carve 145 is going to really be a handful in the surf as well.
If you plan to sail in an area with lots of shorebreak, I'd look for a smaller board to put your smaller sails on.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote