View Single Post
Old 18th September 2008, 07:40 PM   #20
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Marek,
OK, let's back up a bit here.
What is the wind speed when you are trying to sail you Carve 111?
What sail size are you using?
What is "downwind" that makes you so focused on sailing upwind as soon
as possible?
Why are you not jibing the Carve 111? (Assuming that you are jibing the F-Type).

An 85 Kg. sailor will need a 7.5 m2 rig and a minimum of about 13-14 knots of wind to get the Carve 111 planing.
If you can get planing, there should be no real issues with staying upwind as soon as you have good speed. Sounds like you are "rushing things" kinda like you did on the F-Type at first...... right?
Don't rush to get into the footstraps.
Unless there are many hungry great white sharks, or a mine field "downwind" there's nothing I see that would compel you to have to stay upwind so much.
Get the board going, get your speed up, THEN work to gain back any upwind position you lost while getting going.
I think you sail on a small lake, right?
I agree that it's not so cool to come back downwind of where you started, but until you get the Carve 111 all figured out, sail back as close as you can to where you started then do a couple of tacks and tip you board upwind rail down and slog back upwind.
In slog mode, for short periods of time, you can really tip the board and make lot's of upwind progress. Is it fun?.....no! but it eliminates coming back in downwind of your launch.
Also, on your last couple of runs, focus on upwind and using the whole lake as longer runs will give you better upwind progress.
You've made phenomenal progress on the F-Type, so you will most likely make the same sort of progress on the Carve 111 if you have wind conditions and rig size to use a board that small.
Remember, you are coming off one of the earliest planing freeride boards ever produced, so my guess is that you are wanting use the Carve in conditions that aren't quite optimal for a board that small.
A larger board (the Carve 122) might help, as it's a little wider and more floaty, so it will get going in a knot or 2 less wind, but at the top end of things it will get "too big" a couple of knots sooner as well.
Stick with it, when you have enough wind, and I think you'll learn to love the Carve 111.
One day you will be sailing even smaller boards and wonder why you had these issues, but they are all part of the learning curve.
What size is your "oversize" fin. Is it a vertical pointer or a curvy freeride fin?
Hope this helps,

Last edited by Roger; 18th September 2008 at 07:43 PM.
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote