View Single Post
Old 15th October 2006, 01:27 AM   #6
steveC

Default RE: Evo for bump n' jump

Hi Peterk,

Maybe Ola H. will respond again to comment further on the EVO line, as he has always been a strong advocate for them in the past. In the meantime, it might be of value to search some the earlier threads to glean some useful information. Unfortunately, I have no personal experience with the EVOs, but I know others that love their maneuverability, particularly in onshore surf conditions. I have noted that they don't appear to be a super fast in B&J applications, but I think that their design credentials are more seriously focused on maneuverability. I find that most EVO sailors like hanging tough in the surf zone and they aren't as interested in long runs out to sea, but of course that has a lot to do with the folks I know and sail with.

For your applications, you need to consider what would be the most fun overall. That is why I mentioned also considering the more traditional PA line, because it offers an interesting contrast with its faster rockerline, especially if much of the sailing you like includes a lot of the B&J mode. Still, the PA line is very capable in the surf, especially considering more down the line conditions.

But no matter you cut it, going for a higher wind design (EVO or PA) can leave you compromised if the wind seriously drops off. You can balance things quite a bit by targeting the volume range that will bridge into the lighter conditions, but will still be controllable in high winds. Nonetheless, considering one board for 4.0 to 5.7 conditions is a demanding range for any one board, so you could end up with a challenge at either end of the spectrum. If I were you, I would pick the middle ground and pick up a number of fins to help you stretch the boards capabilities in the extremes.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote