View Single Post
Old 22nd November 2008, 09:41 AM   #4
GregNW44

Thanks unregistered

And thanks Remi for the reply. If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the FW class plans it's own races. That’s what I thought… but I can’t believe they don’t look for locations that are known to be windy. Is that what you are saying? I would think that would be one of the MAJOR factors in deciding locations for races.

If I was in charge of any kind of windsurfing event… I would look for places that are usually windy. Of course there is never any guarantee… you can get skunked with no wind, at any traditionally windy location. Maybe that is what you mean, that two places ended up with very light wind.

But that is my point… because with longboards, they could’ve raced at those places, without waiting a week. Anyway, I am sure the FW association tries to hold its events in places where they think it will be windy. However I am also sure that the Olympic committee does not worry so much about that… therefore, racing with longboards would be more likely to have good racing.

Next – You say that IMCO was losing racers… and that the ISAF wanted something more modern. Maybe IMCO was losing racers because the industry has had a major focus, for 10 to 15 years, on trying to find out how low wind a speed, can a windsurfer plane in. Well, that has now been determined… and there are important factors here besides board shape: ie sailor weight… and pumping skill… and you need a very expensive, big rig. But then again… to plane on a beam reach is one thing… to make good headway up and downwind, you need a few more knots.

This has all been very interesting… but in the end, if you want to race windsurfers (or just have fun sailing) in light (2 to 10 knots) winds… then you need a longboard. Above 10 knots (if you don’t weigh too much) and if you have a very expensive rig, and you have very good skill, you can sail up and downwind… and it’s very cool.

Anyway, my interest is in building more recreational sailors everywhere… to sail and have fun in whatever wind is at their home. And I think the industry needs more longboards… different shapes and sizes… like it used to.

Comments... critiques

Thanks, Greg

Seattle, Wa. U.S.
GregNW44 is offline   Reply With Quote