View Single Post
Old 6th December 2008, 02:12 AM   #13
steveC

Well Chris, no question in my mind that you're sincerely dedicated to wearing your warpaint full time. What are you going to do those offending individuals, magazines, or companies once you've caught them and backed them into the corner?

Seriously, we should be clear about one thing, I have nothing against anyone doing "any" kind of windsurfing, and I've never tried to discourage folks from participating in the sport as you seem to suggest. Moreover, I never said anything about "the sport being hard to learn and suitable only for dedicated sailors". But honestly, windsurfing is not for everyone, as many folks want nothing to do with the water.

However, I will hang tough on the fact that windsurfing does take dedication, but that doesn't mean that it can't be fun too. When looking at the equipment and logistics associated with windsurfing, even if you only have one board and one sail, one must be dedicated to dealing with it and maintaining it. Just carving out the time to participate takes a degree of dedication, particularly if one has a family and other issues to contend with. What does the poor guy do when his wife doesn't like windsurfing and is not willing to support it positively. Also, not everyone lives close to the places they might sail at, so often there's the expense of traveling around.

What do you do with your windsurfing gear when you're not using it? Not everyone has a garage to put the stuff in . I don't. In fact, right now I have a Starboard Serenity sitting right next to me in my front room. All my other stuff in stored in a van (my only vehicle by the way) that's dedicated to the sport of windsurfing. If I wasn't into windsurfing, I could be driving a subcompact car that get 35 miles per gallon.

I could go on and on pointing to factors that highlight the fact that windsurfing takes a notable degree of dedication, particularly over the long haul. How many folks do you know that have been windsurfing on a regular basis for over 23 years, especially advancing into their senior years? Darko is right that many folks only do for a few years before moving on to something else.

Regarding folks moving to kiting, all I can say is that the majority of my older windsurfing friends and aquaintances (and that's arguably over 90% of them) abandoned windsurfing for kiting. And none of them have come back. Now I can't say that all locales exhibit this kind radical change, but I live in a community along the ocean that normally has fairly light winds. The fact that kites are better suited to light wind wave riding has really been a strong lure and driver feeding the exodus from windsurfing.

Overall, I have little doubt that you won't soften on your endless campaign on the "blame" path, but you might want to give it a shot. It would certainly be an escape from the grudge you nurse and maintain against many.

Last edited by steveC; 6th December 2008 at 03:31 AM.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote