View Single Post
Old 7th December 2008, 06:13 AM   #5
marek

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychemical View Post
too bad about the carve. What where your problems? And in what winds were you sailing with what sails/weight?
no doubt the Rocket will help out a lot. These are the super freeride boards according to several board tests (except their footstraps i read). It's a good plan to learn the basics of difficult techniques on bigger volume boards on which u can stand if you need to and then only go to the smaller boards.
Also a good idea with the GTX. The remedy's are more free freeride sails. The GTX is good if you just want to blast fast and you don't tumble in the water every jibe. I have on full cambered sail, 8.8, which i only sail on my GO139 on hwich i'm sure i can uphaul the sail, waterstarting that big chunk of sail with it's camberes is possible but it's hellisch at times even with a 100% C mast.

Hi, thanks for your encouragement. The problem is actually with my local conditions rather than with my gear. If I had 50% time on 7.5 or smaller sail and 50% on my 9.8 I would probably be comfortable with C111 after this season.
The problem is that usually there is just enough wind to easily get going on 9.8 or on 7.5 but with better technique or (I guess) wider board.
So these rare moments I've been on my 7.5 and C111 I was either underpowered or I was struggling to uphaul it in chop after every jibe/tack (as I didn't have enough occasions to practice it). Also I had troubles getting upwind on this board (again, not enough practice) and each session was a "come back mission" from start to end.
My 7.5 GTX is a great sail and I like it a lot, but on my current level I need a stable board for it.
I decided it will be better to change the board and progress faster than to change GTX to a no-cam sail of the same size (given my gusty lake conditions).

I have to admit that C111 was great in chop and higher winds, which was the original reason I got it after F-type which was getting handful in such conditions. Carve was just cutting through the chop like nothing.
I'm wondering how much different will Tabou be in that department.
I'm also wondering if I will be able to use it with 9.8 (the manufacturer lists the sail range as 5.5-8.5m).

-marek
marek is offline   Reply With Quote