View Single Post
Old 8th December 2008, 10:11 PM   #1
Roly Gardner

Default Right Fin For Sail Size

Hi All,

I wonder if I might have a definitive view from you all on the right fin choice for my set up please?

I am not exactly sure what info you need so i will set out as much as possible. I weigh 165 pounds and am 5' 6'' tall. My board is a Carve 145 which came with a stock 52 cm fin, Drake I think. I bought a 44 cm Drake fin as I found the larger fin difficult in choppy conditions.

I have a range of sails from an old 5m Tush, a new 5.7m Gaastra Manic, a new 6.5 Gaastra Pilot and a Tush 7.8 Lightning. I have a smaller Pryde carbon boom and Tush 75% mast for the smaller sails and a larger Maui Magic Tsunami alloy boom with 60% carbon Powerex mast for the larger sails.

I sail off the south coast of England near Eastbourne in choppy open water conditions. The wind range varies a lot but I tend to go out between 15/25 mph.

My problems seem to revolve around the way the board performs with the bigger fin in rougher water. It seems sort of unstable as if the chop is rocking the board because the fin is long and a little out of control once I get going. I do not know much about the effects of changing the fin and whether indeed this is as important as I might think, so would be very grateful to hear what you all have to say.

Cheers

Roly
Roly Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote