View Single Post
Old 20th October 2006, 11:10 PM   #3
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme
Default RE: How to effectively pump to plane?

Roger,

I was working with someone on an F-Type 158 and 11.0m2 Retro the other week. He was having trouble understanding the 'large movement' concept for pumping big gear. What I found was that he wasn't sure what the actual steps were to an effective pump.

I'm curious if you agree with what I explained to him. ;-)

In order to pump effectively on big gear, you push against the fin with your back foot very soon after you start to pump the sail (after you initiate the sail pump with your front hand and just before you finish the pump with your back hand). This loads the board in preparation for the undulating/porpoising motion. When you finish the pump of the sail, you start lifting your weight off the board to try to get it to break through and onto a plane (remember you loaded it up already so it should pop up out of the water now). A more aggressive example of this would include actually lifting the board with your feet in the straps. Then, when the board comes off the porpoise, you start another pump ... 'rinse and repeat'

Ultimately, the rhythm is very important. Getting the timing of the above steps right will get you on a plane with less energy wasted. I think people should be able to mimic the motion on land (no board or sail in hand) before even trying on the water.

Oh, and by the way, I recall a thread answering this question a couple times in the past two months. Maybe you should make a sticky thread that includes links to some of the typical questions people always ask...an FAQ.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote