View Single Post
Old 21st October 2006, 11:47 PM   #6
windsurfer

Default RE: How to know when you are overpowered?

Quote:
It almost sounds like you are so concerned with staying upwind, that you aren't heading off enough to get your board fully planing.
Is this sort of the case?
No, because I always go a bit downwind to get a smooth an quick transition to get fully on plane.

Quote:
Which rail are you using to go upwind? Do you "tip" your board so that the upwind rail is down, or do you tip the board a slight bit lee rail (the downwind rail) down to get the fin to give you the most upwind lift.
I have already noticed that tipping the upwind rail is not so effective as riding on the fin, because if you tip the upwind rail you loose more speed. This is somtimes critical if the conditions are marginal (my biggest sail is the 7.5).

Quote:
The nose attitude is controlled in 2 ways.
When you are sub planing, where you put your weight controls the fore and aft (pitch) attitude of your board.
As you get closer to fully planing, you need to move your weight back on the board, at a rate that promotes constant acceleration. Move back too slowly and the board never gets up and over it's bow wave and the rocker transition.
Move back too quickly and the nose pops up too high and your acceleration dies off.
Get it right and your GO 155 will simply "slide" up onto a plane if you have enough power in your sail.
As far as getting the mast foot too far back, yes, you can do that, and your board will begin to tailwalk (dance up out of the water on the fin).
In marginal conditions it feels like it is easier to stay in the foostraps( at lower speeds), when just bearly plaining. If I move the mastfoot forward, and it feels like it is it easier to get the board plaining. So yes it could be that I need to move the mastfoot backwards when I have fully powered conditions. I haven't experimented so mutch with mastfoot positions. So when I talked of stalling, (nose high) was when I got into lulls in marginal condition, and didn't move out of the footstaps and move forward on the board, like you is supposed to.

In other words to mutch weight on the back of the board when speed drop so mutch that you are close to the point where you can't obtain plaining speed any more. But it felt like I was able to ride trough the lulls, if I had the mastfoot foreward, still standing in the footstraps.

Quote:
Do you have any photos of you sailing your GO?
Send me an email (sailquik@mindsprig.com) with a couple of photos of you sailing (upwind if possible) and we may be able to see some issues you have and help you to get beyond them.
Hope this helps,
Sorry no pictures. If TOW, and mastfoot tuning, will not solve this issue, I will have someone to take a picture. But thank you for spending time helping us all.

Great forum

I am just waiting for some strong wind to hit me soon
windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote