View Single Post
Old 22nd October 2006, 11:25 AM   #7
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: How to effectively pump to plane?

Hi Matthew,
OK, the weight difference alone can make a world of difference, but there seem to be some technique issues here that might get you going significantly earlier.
First, when doing full body pumps to get on plane on a wide board like the F-Type 158, you probably aren't in the footstraps. The front strap maybe, but no weight on that foot. It just helps to keep you in positon and shoot the board forward when you get all your weight up on the rig.
The back foot needs to be just ahead of the rear footstraps, directly over the centerline of the board (so you can steer with heel or toe pressure).
I've found at my weight this "sweet spot" for the rear foot ends up being kind of in the middle of the oval EVA "spot" in the center of the board just ahead of the front of the rear footstrap.
I weigh about 170-175 lbs, you weigh more, so I would expect your rear foot to be a little further forward than mine.
You need to focus all your weight on this rear foot!
So, as you pull the rig back really hard (the clew stays out at more than 45 deg. I think) you are transferring as much of your weight as possible up through your arms and onto the boom.
In order to do this, you kinda "fall back" a little as you pull hard with both arms.
As your weight comes off the board (it's now supported by the rig, momentarily) the action of the rig coming back and you falling back slightly lifts the board and shoves it forward.
If you have your rear foot on the "sweet spot" (for your weight) the nose will already be at the correct height (pitch axis trim here) for the board to efficiently slide up onto a plane.
The board will actually "bounce" (porpoise) up and over the water.
If you get the rhythm right, your seond pump will occur as the board is settling back and shoot it forward to pop it up even higher.
After 3-5 pumps, if the board isn't accelerating and up onto a semi plane, you may as well give up.
2-4 pumps really should be enough.
I'll try to get someone to photograph this.
I'm working with an animator and I think between some very specific video and an animation based on that video, we can illustrate what's effective, and what's not.
Also it would be good to separate the "myths" here from what actually is happening. It's a very dynamic action with many things happening on several different levels, all at the same time. The video could be used to "seperate out" each different level or aspect so those trying to learn the skill could see what's happening with the sailor, with the rig, with the attitude of the board, and some underwater video of what the fin is doing.
That should nail it down pretty well.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote