View Single Post
Old 12th March 2009, 05:03 PM   #7
Peter Hart
Technical Guru

Smile Slamming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel B View Post
Hi Peter !
I know this question may be off this topic, but I wish you could help me.
I am trying to learn the slam jibe.
I 've read about this move, and saw your tutorials ( lets go wave sailing and serious abour waves vol 1 ) but there seem to be two diff approaches. One is to sheet in in the beginning of the move, and the other is to slightly sheet out ... That would be my first question, wich one is the right one ?
Second, when I initiate the jibe, I try to loose some speed by heading upwind and sheet out a little bit, then I place my back foot behind the back strap and on the inside rail, and through my body backwards and to the inside of the turn ... but the rail, in stead of sinking smoothly, makes the board to jump/bounce and that prevents me from doing the carve I am suppouse to.
Thanks in advance !
Daniel
Hi Daniel

Thanks for the message.
For part one of your q, the answer depends a little on how powered you are. Generally you head up and sheet OUT to wash of all speed, get the nose up (and make ground upwind) and then sheet IN as you 'slam' in the tail.

For part 2 of the q, the answer is more straight forward. You have to decide whether you're doing a tight radius carve or a slam. In the carve, you stay planing (don't head up) and carve the board hard with a lot of back foot pressure at the same time sheeting in hard.
In the slam it's very different. Wash off all the speed, tilt the rig to windward (like an big board flare gybe), then sheet in, sink the tail BUT KEEP IT FLAT. It's the rig force that's turning you.
Also I wouldn't put the back foot behind the straps to start with. It's a good way to 'pop' the board for aerial gybes and willy skippers but tends to make the board go nuts skip all over the place.
You're doing a kind of hybrid. If you whack the board on its edge at slow speeds with a lot of back foot, it will just stall.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Peter

Last edited by Peter Hart; 12th March 2009 at 05:09 PM.
Peter Hart is offline   Reply With Quote