What I wish I had done:
(1) Go to a windsurfing event and get a couple hours of lessons $50-100
(2) Buy a light wind board and a medium wind sail+fin e.g. Futura 155 or FE with stock fin and Retro 8.5
(3) sail sail sail
What I did:
(1) Bought a heavy (40+lbs) 200L wide daggerboard equiped complete kit with a Cheap 4.7m North sail.
(2) could stand up in a lot of wind but almost never could plane for the whole first summer.
(3) bought some older but better boards and sails (Kerma with 6.0 cambered old school race sail)
(4) did many helicopter imitations on my way to the water until I learned to keep the mast in the center plane of the board.
(6) Bought a big Go board and a Retro 8.5 then a V-8 10.0m sail
(7) went to a couple demo days and learned that boards with sharp edged wide sterns plane quicker than the GO and that the big fins really help early planing..
(8) realized that If I had taken a couple lessons and bought a Formula Experience board and a Retro 8.5 that I would have had much more time up on plane and much more fun in my first 2 years. I also wouldnt have four boards that never get used and cant hardly even be given away.
Last edited by artsci2; 8th May 2009 at 07:20 AM.