View Single Post
Old 7th August 2009, 07:04 PM   #10
Ray Timm

Sailed my Quad 76 with a 5.7 the other day on fresh water. Wind was 15-20 knots. The board carried the sail better than I expected. Wind was onshore with waves 5-6' and overall I was very satisfied with the upwind performance. Later when the wind was a steady 20+ I changed to a 5.3. Granted the board likes that sail size better for my weight. If I had to take one board for 5.7 to 4.5 sails the Quad 76 is now my choice. Regarding speed and feeling sticky, when I first sailed the 76 it felt a little sticky when I was powered up on flat water, but as Ola has mentioned this sensation has disappeared. I think the reason I'm no longer feeling this is due to a slight change in my technique or stance. In the Columbia Gorge two weeks ago using a 5.0 I didn't have too many people passing me on any point of sail. In gybes the Quad also carries speed through the turn really well with one's weight further back than I expected. If I really push my weight forward on a turn in flat water its speed tends to drop more than if I'm a bit further back. The Evos, except for the 2007 model, were my favorite boards, but the Quad does everything as well and some things better.
Ray Timm is offline   Reply With Quote