View Single Post
Old 13th August 2009, 10:01 AM   #6
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Dom,
The little tab to repair your fin used to be called the "Fin Saver"!
The US Fin repair kit that Floyd suggests is very similar, and should work
pretty well.
I made a few "fin savers" of my own in the old days before all the new style fin boxes
came out.
The ones I made were sawn out of about 1/8" thick aluminum/brass/stainless plate.
Cut a little tab the same width as the fin slot, and make it about 1" long.
So you have a little tab that's approx. 3/8" wide x 1/8" thick x 1" long.
Take a fine blade hacksaw and square off the tab on the front end of your fin.
Then mark out a 1/8" wide by 1/2" deep slot at 90 degrees to the fin vertical axis in about the center (vertically) of the tab.
Carefully saw the <1/8" slot in the fin and use a thin jewelers file to make the slot a snug fit
on the 1/8" thick tab.
Put a little dab of strong epoxy glue on the tab and glue it into the slot on the front of your fin.
When glue has cured, drill a new hole for your fin screw and you should be back in business
(You may need to use a shorter screw).
Or, as suggested, if the tab is still long enough (Starboard/Drake "E"/"A" box fins tend to have particularly long tabs at the front) just drill and counterbore another hole just behind where the first tab broke off.
Or, order the repair kit Floyd suggests and follow the directions.
You would need to square the broken tab off just as I suggested above, but instead of working a slot and tab into the front squared off tab, you would drill a hole the correct size for the pin part of the repair kit to press into.
Lots of ways to fix your fin.
As long as the leading edge still has even a tiny bit of tab in front of it (down on the fin root) you can save the fin pretty easily.
If you don't run your fin agound or hit things like rocks and logs, a repaired fin will work just as well as a new fin.
The tab and screw only hold the fin in the slot, the slot does all the supporting.
That's why all the high end custom boards with "E"/"A" fin boxes have the reinforcing wood strips along the sides of the finbox slot.
Hope this helps,

Last edited by Roger; 13th August 2009 at 11:02 PM.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote