View Single Post
Old 10th September 2009, 10:53 PM   #2
Ken

Hi Denny,

I sailed and raced long boards for many years (Mistral Superlight, F2 Lightening, Mistral Equipe II XR). I am familiar with the Ultra Cat, but have never sailed one.

Mast foot placement - While learning (tacking & jibing), keeping it in the center is generally a good idea. For pointing (sailing close to the wind), the track should be all the way forward. However, your weight may play a role and you may have to move it back a little if the nose of board rides too low. This is the setting in both light and strong winds.

Sailing (not planing) deep downwind, keep the track forward. The only time you put the track all the way back is when you have enough wind and sail to plane with good speed and you are in the foot straps. If running deep down wind and planing, but not in the foot straps, the track should be in the middle. The idea for downwind sailing is to keep the board flat on the water. If you sink the tail, you will slow down, that's why the track should be forward, to keep you in the center of the board, and the board flat.

With your weight, you will need to experiment some, and there may be some variations to what I have said.

The centerboard - Upwind - always all the way down in any wind, except if super overpowered and the board starts to "turtle" or roll over, kick the dagger board up 1/3.
Beam reach - non planing conditions - all the way down
Beam reach - just planing - half way down
Beam reach - planing in the straps - all the way up
Full reach or down wind - non planing - all the way down for stability or half way up for more speed, but less stability.
Full reach or down wind - just planing conditions - all the way up. If the board feels pretty tippy, put the dagger board down 1/3 - 1/2 down
Full reach or down wind - planing conditions - all the way up.

Hope this helps.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote