Thread: sail size
View Single Post
Old 27th September 2009, 04:05 AM   #27
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac33 View Post
my light wind board fanatic falcon 75 wide is 152 litres volume. checked windspeeds on seabreeze website on numerous occasions it does plane in around 8 knots with 7.7m rigged with no outhaul/ downhaul.overpowers though in around 12 knots.
Mac33,

Your achievments sounds very impressive but I strongly doubt about the wind speed recording. Something must be wrong with the calibration of the "seabreeze" website wind anemometer. It clearly sounds to me that either the anemometer is off-scale and needs an urgent tune-up or that your actual sailing venue is far away from the location of the anemometer. In short : you are clearly underestimating the true wind speed while sailing.

Being a light weight myself at 65 kg, I need 7 knots of constant wind to start and sustain the planing with a 77 cm wide board and a Code Red 11 m2 sail and I get completely overpowered above 12-13 knots. With the same 77 cm wide board, the wind range is 10-15 knots with an 8.2 m2 race sail or 11-17+ knots with a Code Red 7.7 m2 sail. I've never been able to start and sustain the planing as of 7 knots of wind with anything smaller than a 10.6 m2 sail, and certainly not as of 8 knots with a 7.7 m2 sail, no matter how baggy the downhaul has been set up.

Furthermore, the wind range with a 5.4m2 sail on the same 77 cm wide board is about 18-25 knots of wind. I'm unable to start and sustain the planing as of 12 knots with such a sail. Therefore, I have very strong doubt about the planing ability in the low wind range as reported with your 5.0 or 5.8 m2 racing sail, sorry about that again. However, the upper wind range of your 5.0 racing sail is probably correct at 30 knots because I usually use a wave 4.7 m2 sail in 25-30 knots of wind (but on a 50 cm wide & 62 L wave board).

All my 5.4-11.0 m2 sails are rigged with an adjustable on-the-fly outhaul system. Even with super negative outhaul and/or downhaul, there are some physic laws that cannot be overturned. Wind speed in knots (nautical miles/hour) are measured on the spot by an hand-held Deuta analog anemometer and such record is double-checked with the windspeed of a closely located website anemometer. Variability is usually 0.5 knots. Complete records with wind records and gear being used have been logged since 2003 on http://mytrims.com/sessions/index.asp?uID=230.

Cheers !

JM

Last edited by Jean-Marc; 27th September 2009 at 06:28 AM. Reason: typos
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote