View Single Post
Old 24th December 2009, 04:52 AM   #12
mark h

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac33 View Post
are u sure u mean 40knots.

most sailors cannot sail in 30knots.

in 35knots even on 4.0m very feware sailing and less sheeting in.

in 40knots, never saw anyone sail, unless in sheltered water.

i do remember 6/7 years ago, two of australias top 5 slalom sailors got caught out in approx 40/45 knots in the swan river. they both were in water for over 5mins till gust past.

to answer your question.... the green + bluemistral flow of around 10 years ago sailed very high out of water and safe.
Don't mean to sound rude, but its just not true to say "most sailors cannot sail in 30knots". Who were to two slalom guys you saw in trouble, and were they on the wrong kit for the 5 minute squall?

30 knots is stage one of high winds and when it all starts to be fun. 5.8m/6.3m for speed/slalom and 5m for waves is were its at in those winds.

I agree that a lot of guys/girls start to struggle in solid 40k winds, and only decent sailors can tame 45/50k winds. But 30k winds, be it flat water speed/freestyle, coastal sailing/slalom or wave sailing is not "untouchable" for experienced/half decent sailors. I would recommend "all" sailors to try it, its a hoot

Happy holidays to all

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mark h is offline   Reply With Quote