View Single Post
Old 23rd January 2010, 01:46 AM   #6
Deja Vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Ice View Post
Full respect. An Isonic 122/133 with a 7.5-8.5 actually requires a high level of skill to get the best out of it. Its big kit and I could never get my head around it but I can see many people are stoked on it.

Maybe I am lucky that I have talked with and watched top class kiters, one of them an ex world champion.

They obviously make it look easy and while I would never come close to their standard I believe I could still have more fun on a kite in 10 to 16 knot winds than a windsurfer.

Itís the fact that kiters can get away with very small maneuverable boards in light winds that attract me.
7.5 and 8.5 I consider medium to semi-small when it comes to sails. 10.5 and 12.0 I consider to be big. A fully cambered 7.5 to 8.5 can be used (raced) in some fairly substantial wind! I wish I could sail 5.0 to 6.5 sails on a regular basis, but alas it just isn't in the cards for me; however, the big stuff has opened up a huge number, of what I now consider, good sailing days. When my buddy and I used our 12.0s at Hatteras a couple of years ago we were blasting by ourselves. No one else, including kite boarders, was on the water.

I've flown a training kite a couple of times and took a lesson; however, I must admit that the power behind these things scares me - I see some big potential for someone to get hurt and at my age recovery seems to take years! I have enough minor injuries from sailboarding thank you very much.
Deja Vu is offline   Reply With Quote