Thread: proper rigging
View Single Post
Old 22nd February 2010, 01:49 AM   #20
vikingsail

Sorry I missed that message. If I were to demostrate the settings on the 8.5 matrix, (with a crank and a CM, not inch, extension) I would set the extension for 28 cm (26+2) and then rig the sail so that the downhaul was set so there was 4 cm of space between the foot of the sail and the pulley in the extension. adjust outhaul neutral + 2cm. This is the underpowered position. Note the lack of looseness in the upper section of the sail.
Downhaul 2cm more. readjust outhaul neutral+2cm, note how the sail is loose between the upper 2 panels. This is the normal setting.
Downhaul 2cm more (this should be as much as possible), readjust outhaul neutral + 2cm. sail leech should be loose now in 3 panels. this is the setting for max overpowered sailing in 20-25 mph winds.
Everytime you change the downhaul readjust the outhaul to neutral plus 2 cm. If you do this you should easily see the effect downhaul has on sail shape.
You can do the same thing with the Pilot with 8 cm on the extension. Actually the pilot might be the one to test with. You might have to use 10 cm on the extension if the leech does not loosen up. Remember the numbers the manufacture are guidelines not written in stone.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by vikingsail; 22nd February 2010 at 02:00 AM. Reason: correction
vikingsail is offline   Reply With Quote