View Single Post
Old 15th March 2010, 07:07 AM   #3
tonymatta

The few occasions I have raced my 320 against old style longboards, I have been doing as well or better upwind than the long boards but not so well downwind. Some of that could be a differnce in skill since the others were much more experienced sailers.

I certainly find it easier to sail the 320 downwind (stability) because of the wider more boyant tail. I am only 64kg, so I imagine a heavier sailer would also benefit from the higher volume of the longer board.

I think the 320 could barely be called a hybrid although it may comply with hybrid class rules. compared to the previous SB hybrid race and SB hybrid formula, The RSX, the Bic Hybrid. It is much closer to a lower volume raceboard than any of the previous hybrid designs. The 2010 phantom 320 detail is even closer to the 380 than the previous model shown in the video.

I think a skilled light person on the 320 would give the longer boards something to think about, but it would always be hard to beat the longer water line in light winds.
tonymatta is offline   Reply With Quote