View Single Post
Old 27th March 2010, 08:26 AM   #14
mark h

Can't help but chip in here I had a D-ram 125 for 18-months then got a Wood 105 and had that for 18-months as well. I loved them both. The HS was one of my all time favourits (Sonic 100 is my all time favourit).

Very smooth in open sea's kinda felt like a cushion soft ride over chop, took a 6m up to 9m, I was on Gaastra Nitro's then and found the 10.4m a bit to big on a HS, I'm 105kg/194cm. Lighter sailors might be OK with XXL sails.

Truthfully speeking, the HS125 did not get going any earlier than the HS105, but it was a lot more comfy to slog on with bigger sails if the wind disappeared.

I very nearly changed the HS105 wood for a newer HS111 wood, but after trying one, I much prefered the original HS105. It felt more direct, it was definetly faster (according to my GPS). Once took the HS105 to 37k peak with the standard 3cm fin, one of the Dutchie's had 41k peak, so its no slouch.

The HS111 had more rocker in the nose, this was to stop the nose catching chop (I never had a problem with the catching chop though). It also had a lot of kick in tail section to improve gybing. I think the changes on the newer HS was to try to make it more accessible to the masses. The original HS was king in my books.

I eventually changed the HS to a Sonic 110, and like John K say's, when you jump onto a normal slalom board you realise just how technical/high imput the HS was to get going compaired to normal slalom kit. Once going, its not at all technical, possibly easier than traditional shapes as it was very forgiving at speed. It went upwind/down wind almost like a mini formula. One thing for sure is, if you can dial a HS, it will imrove you technic and make other slalom boards feel easy

If you can get the original HS105/125, I'd be looking at that and save a few .

The toys:
Speed W44 - Speed W49 - speed W53 - speed W58 - iS76 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 7.8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mark h; 27th March 2010 at 08:36 AM.
mark h is offline   Reply With Quote