View Single Post
Old 27th April 2010, 04:02 AM   #25
IRL-250

Send a message via Skype™ to IRL-250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
If you examine the boom head on the Chinook boom you will find that the plastic is flexible and soft (way too flexible IMO) and when you pull down on the boom, once it is attached to the mast, there is some give, especially after sailing for awhile. Boards magazine did a boom test a few years ago and they had the same problem with Chinook booms. I have a friend with a Chinook formula carbon boom which he refuses to use because of this issue - so he has an expensive carbon boom gathering dust. I've customized mine so it is usable. There are a number of things I like about the boom; however, the boom head isn't one of them.
There is a little bit of give but too me it is no noticeable on the water. They are definetly not floppy. In fact i think that give has saved me snapping booms is some really big wipeouts. The main advantage of the boom head though is if you do snap one side of the boom you can replace it. If this happened with any other boom it would end up in the bin and you would have an expensive bill to replace it

KA Sails (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Chinook (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Vector Maui Fins (
)
Pro Motion Wetsuits (
)
Wind & Wave (
)
Curve (
)
Windsurfingfins (
)

KA Koncept 4.4, 5.0, 5.8, 6.6, 7.5, 8.3, 9.5
KA Kaos 4.2, 4.7, 5.3,
KA Kult 5.8, 6.4m

Starboard - Isonic Speed W53, Phantom 380, Quatro 85l Evil Twin Custom.
IRL-250 is offline   Reply With Quote