View Single Post
Old 6th June 2010, 10:22 AM   #14
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi JSW225,
Maybe a little discussion of how/where to balance your harness lines.
You can get close, but you will never get your harness lines truly "balanced"
on the beach.
How I do my lines is to get them balanced as good as I can on the beach, and
then go out on the water and get the final "tweaks".
I set my lines so I can take both hands off the boom for a few seconds.
I use the front attachment point to set the fore and aft balance of the rig so that when
I take my hands off and move the front attachment forward and back until the rig will
just stand in place with both hands off the boom.
Then I use the rear attachment point to set the rig to neither sheet in nor sheet out when I remove my hands from the boom.
So, when I have my lines completely balanced, I can sail along for several seconds with both hands off the boom, on either tack, and the rig simply stands in place and provides steady power.
The balance can change slightly as you move back on the board, so ultimately you need to do your final balance after you are comfortable in the footstraps.
If you take your hands off the boom momentarily, and the mast falls forward, then you need to correct for that.
Move the front attachment point (back I think, but I could have this reversed)
until it just stays in one pace and is balanced.
If the rig falls back toward the back of the board then move the front attachment forward (again, could be reversed) until the rig just stands there.
Same with the back attachment point, move it until the sail, when you take your hands off, does not change angle (sheeting in increases power until the rig stalls and is called "over sheeting");
sheeting out reduces power and is called sheeting out or "easing".
Get it right, and the rig will just stand in place giving you steady power, with both hands off the boom.
Also (and I know this will be hard for you at your level) you need to not hold the boom too tightly.
When you get your lines really balanced you will be able to "play the piano" with your fingers on top of the boom. If you get everything balanced and length adjusted correctly,
your rig will support your body weight.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited by Roger; 6th June 2010 at 07:09 PM.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote