View Single Post
Old 19th June 2010, 06:25 PM   #4
BelSkorpio

Yes, this is interesting indeed.
Can't resist on commenting this one as well

Going upwind, downwind, off-shore, on-shore, hitting more chop, hitting less chop will all have its influence. That's for sure.

But let's assume for a moment that we can do both tacks (port & starboard) in exactly the same conditons, e.g. perfect off-shore wind with mirror flat water.
In this conditions, I know that I personally will always prefer a port tack which will always result for me in the highest and most comfortable speed. It's just a personal preference.

I compare it with e.g. long jumping or volleybal smashing. Although I'm right-handed the last foot to take off will be my left one.
I still remember the first time when I went snowboarding, they asked "do you want your left foot first or your right foot first". While many other snowboard beginners didn't know what to answer, I answered firmly "my left foot first". I knew this from windsurfing.

So I think it all comes down to personal preference. It's different for everyone and has not strictly to do with the fact if you're left-handed or right-handed. It's more like a habit. And yes it could change during the years, according to me.
BelSkorpio is offline   Reply With Quote