Thread: EVO 83 or 91
View Single Post
Old 10th December 2006, 03:55 AM   #8
steveC

Default RE: EVO 83 or 91

I couldn't resist commenting on the weight thing. About 2 1/2 years ago I was up at about 88kg, but currently I'm weighing in around 70kg. Despite the significant variance, things really aren't that all that different for me now. I still pretty much use the same sail sizes for the conditions, but I should point out that I've always preferred using somewhat larger sails than many. The thing I do notice though is that I can get away with a little less board volume when the conditions are up and down

However, in the real world, I do realize that the real big guys over 100kg really do have to size everything up, particularly board volume, otherwise they're suffering big time if the wind lightens. Given a focus on wave sailing, especially in the best conditions where lighter wind usually offers the cleanest shape, I think bigger guys need to target a bit more board volume to get the most versatility. This becomes even more important in onshore type conditions where getting out makes things a bit tougher. The good thing about many of todays wave boards is that the manufacturers are now making real wave boards that offer sufficient volume for bigger sailors.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote