Thread: Rio Update
View Single Post
Old 9th August 2010, 02:28 PM   #3
KTM450EXC

Default Planing

Many thx for your support and positive remarks Roger!

Just to clarify, I have the std fin on board at the moment but a local shop has the drake R15 56cm....Is this the ideal fin for more performance OR is there somthing better OR should I just wait until I get my next board??

I'm struggling to understand what a larger fin would do in terms performance..?

Its really good that you informed me the dagger board should be up when planing......I really did have great speed for a long distance but it was like wheelie-ing a motocross bike - crazy but fun!

Somthing else I learnt and hopefully and a benifical remark for others starting out is to practise the basics with a smaller sail......I was it itching to get the bigger sail/ power but even a 1.2M increase requires significantly more strength to physically handle as well as "filling the board area" and limiting movement.

Will try the foot steering with DB in up position....I really love the way the Rio "turns on a pin" both up and downwind by raking the sail.

I do wear shoes on board so getting in the straps is likely to be tight but I'll report back after next windy session...

Rgds
KTM
KTM450EXC is offline   Reply With Quote