View Single Post
Old 5th September 2010, 11:10 PM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Andy,
I agree with Ken's analysis..... a little more information will assist us in giving you good answers.
As far as your tacking on the F-133, you can change your technique and tacking will not be a problem.
Instead of moving forward of the mast foot during your tacks (my guess would be you learned to tack on
a longboard or something really large like a Start or Rio) try this:
1/ Initiate your tack by putting the foot of the sail right down on the deck of the board.
(This assumes you are out of both footstraps and ready to begin your tack with your board off plane!) This will "DRIVE" the nose of the board right up into the wind. Keep the rig all the way back and down, and progressively sheet the sail in to ensure you get the upwind drive and turning moment.
2/ When the board has turned up fully into the wind (i.e. wind is coming right over the nose) step your front foot over the "leaned/raked back" mast so your are facing the back of the board with one foot on each side of the mast.
3/ Pivot around your new back foot and bring the new front foot over the leaned/raked back mast.
Sweep the sail out perpendicular on the new tack and sail away.
The idea here is to never move your weight in front of the mast foot where you need nose volume to keep the board moving and support your weight.
If you keep your weight behind the mast foot (in the most floaty and stable area of the F-133) you won't have issues with the nose sinking.
This works well on all boards, large and small, longboard or shortboard, and actually will have you tacking both much faster and will less loss of speed and less downwind drift.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote