View Single Post
Old 21st September 2010, 07:55 AM   #10
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Romas,
Not sure I understand where your figures came from?
Masts weigh as little as 1.7 Kg. (430 75% mast) to over 4 Kg. (Most 30% and 15% masts plus the
aluminum and epoxy fiberglass masts do not even specify how much they weigh.
Booms weigh (carbon- 1.08 Kg - > 3.0 Kg.
Sails weigh 4.0-> 6.6 KG.
Remember, you don't uphaul from the top of the mast, and shorter people get even further on the
"wrong end of the lever" so 0.5 Kg can make a huge difference.
When I last raced in Thailand, at a Formula Experience event, all masts had to be <75% carbon content.
I could hardly get a 75% carbon 490 cm mast out of the water. I've been doing this a long time and have
grown used to 100% carbon content in masts > 460 cm.
The FE technical guy from Belguim was weighing competitors > 75% masts and putting LEAD
foil sheets in the top of the mast. Now that was heavy.
Every ounce of lead was multiplied by 17-18 feet with the uphaul being in the 4-6 foot level.
So, you may not notice the 0.5 kg. difference, but I can assure you that smaller sailors (women, kids
especially) simply cannot deal with a mast that's 0.5 Kg. heavier and will give up the sport before they injure their back and leg muscles.
Having taught a couple of 1000 (i.e. 2000 +) newby beginner sailors I can tell you that light weight is absolutely the right way to go for beginners and advancing sailors.
The Retro Ripper rigs I use weigh less than half what an equivalent size (2.5/3.3/4.2/5.0) adult rig weighs and this is super important to the student success rates. The Retro Rippers also have more power sixe for size than equivalent size wave and freeride rigs.
Roger

Last edited by Roger; 21st September 2010 at 11:59 AM.
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote