Thread: gloves
View Single Post
Old 18th October 2010, 09:48 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi joe_windsurfer;
My solution (after many many purchase of different things that were "supposed" to work) is:
A Kokatat Dry suit..... solves all the fore arm issues as it has very soft, very thin latex seals
on the wrists.
And, the DaKine Cold Water Mitts (NOT Gloves).... be sure to get the later mitts with the neoprene that
wraps over the end of your fingers. The older ones had the change from neoprene to the palm material
right on the finger tips.... brrrrrr.... you never realize how much your finger tips are out in the cold airstream when wrapped around a boom.
Later DaKine MItts solved this by bringing the neoprene (about 1.5-2.5 mil I'd guess) back to about the first finger joint in your hand. This solved the frozen fingertips issue.
Hope this helps,
Roger
P.S. I know that this will start some sort of flame war, but for those of you who have not ever experienced the warmth and durabulity of a genuine Kokatat Goretex front entry dry suit (Kokatat GFE) I strongly suggest you try one before you start talking about them.
Mine is now more than 10 years old, and after 2 seal replacements, it's going back to the factory for an full water tightness test; new goretex booties, and new neck and wrist seals.
Then I can sail in the coldest weather and feel like I'm wearing warm pajamas!
R
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote