View Single Post
Old 21st October 2010, 06:36 AM   #4
joe_windsurfer

Default heavyweight

hello:

i am also a heavyweight just under 100 kilos now and about 6'1"
on lakes i still use my original longboard - in order to be able to go upwind and get back home - i adapted the base to be able to handle my 8.5

when i started shortboarding, there were no local starboard reps. i ended up with a 160 liter board and my old sails for one year. the next year i purchased a new 8.5. i use this sail in 20-40 kph or about 10 to 20+ knots. i purchased an older 7.0 that fits on the same mast and use it in 30-50 kph winds or about 15 to 25 + knots. if it gets really hairy i try to use a really old 6-oh, but in those 30 knot winds anything will fly and the board is really NOT suited for that. I knew that i wanted to windsurf in any winds - so, i actually purchased a used 10-oh race sail that i plane with in 10 to 15 knots. obviously this quiver was built over the last 3 to 4 years.

my favourite sail is the 8.5 - probably cuz it is no cam , light and corresponds well to both my weight and winds in the area.

i started looking at 120 to 130 liter boards to use in bigger winds, but that is after the 3 to 4 years on the 160. i was able to get in the harness when i started and already knew how to plane. i still do not go in the footstraps, but manage to get quite fast just the same. i push against the side of the board - have some kind of phobia about getting stuck in the straps.

in summary , the 140+ should NOT sink, to start bigger was better for me in my conditions.

just trying to give you my perspective, but my heavyweight buddy felt he should have started with a 140+ board

plenty of perspectives and trying if you can is the BEST

lotsa luck!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.