Thread: buying a board
View Single Post
Old 4th November 2010, 09:26 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi MC Street,
I took a look at the AquaGlide video.
Are you sailing the AquaGlide as a windsurfer (I.E. standing up and holding the sail) or sitting down with the sail held up by lines and a rudder/tiller on the back?
If you can uphaul, tack and jibe the AquaGlide, you pretty much have the basic sail handling and transition/turning round skills you will need on a regular windsurfing board.
At 73-75 Kg. ( 161-165 lbs.) you do not need a really large board.
180-200 liters would be pretty good.
You do not "HAVE TO" go with a large volume board with a centerboard, but since the AquaGlide was designed with a great deal of upwind bias "built in", if you do not get a board with a centerboard,
the "rig steering" skills you developed on the AquaGlide are not going to work.
You would have to very quickly develop some "railing" skills to keep a regular short board without a centerboard/center fin/daggerboard or you will be blown downwind and become very frustrated.
15-20 knots of wind is not reall "low wind speeds" (I agree with PG in your other post that at your size you would need to start out with a 6.5 m2 sail/rig size)
You will find that a 6.5 m2 rig (even with the lightest and most expensive carbon mast and boom) is going to be a lot more difficult to uphaul, but you will be able to pull it up and sail with it (with the skills
you have already.
A GO 155 would be OK, but a larger GO or a Rio M would be quite a bit easier for you to start out on.
The GO 155 does not have a center board or center fin, so that's going to be pretty difficult right at first.
The Rio M seems to me the be the best overall compromise for you.
It has a retractable centerboard, so you can use your current skills right away with the centerboard down.
then swing the centerboard up and get used to sailing by footsteering/railing (which you cannot do at all on the AquaGlide).
If you get downwinded, then simply put the center board down and sail back upwind.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote